Seattle Children’s Hospital operating rooms shut down after a patient dies of mold infection

(CNN)A patient at Seattle Children’s Hospital has died from a mold infection. Gaps in air filtration is believed to have been key in the presence of mold, Bernal said. While the hospital works with outside industrial hygienists to clear the rooms of Aspergillus contamination, all 14 of the hospital’s main operating rooms remain closed, Bernal said. “We are systematically implementing improvements and corrective actions, and then retesting the air to validate our efforts have been effective. It is difficult to predict when we will be able to safely resume operations but our patients’ safety is our priority and we will reopen our operating rooms when we are confident they are safe for patient care,” Bernal said. Aspergillus is a common …